Pham Minh Tuan
School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Nanyang Technological University
After four years at the School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, NTU, I realized this is a good choice for my Ph.D. study. I had a good opportunity to work with a number of professors and partners from various countries and learned knowledge as well as experiences from them. There are numerous modern facilities that I can use to conduct my experiments. And most importantly, I have a great chance to practice English every day since English is used as the first language in the academic environment as well as social life in Singapore.
As a Ph.D. candidate from one of the leading engineering universities in the world, here are the tips for writing up quality research papers.
- The title must clearly describe the key findings of the paper.
- The novelty and contribution of the work must be clearly presented and emphasized in the abstract.
- Summary of the methodology/approach and results needs to be described in the abstract.
- A good literature review is essential in the introduction.
- A discussion is necessary in case you want to compare your findings to other works in order to impress people about your contribution.
- All information in the paper must be well summarized in the conclusion and the future work also needs to be well specified.
Mistakes could happen, please do not give up and I hope this is useful for people who is writing a research paper.