With the motto “Plant the SEED of Future, grow ASEAN-JAPAN Network for Sustainability,” the JICA Project for AUN/SEED-Net believes in planting the seeds of collaboration in engineering education between the ASEAN and Japan. It is an honor to have CEP-WATER as one of our seeds.
On April 27, 2022, the Water and Wastewater Treatment Engineering Research Consortium (WATER) successfully held a final online periodic meeting to report on its achievements and plans following the completion of the AUN/SEED-Net grant. Over a year has passed since the Collaborative Education Program (CEP) grant was awarded to WATER consortium from April 2021 until February 2022 (refer to https://seed-net.org/award-recipients-of-collaborative-education-program-for-japanese-fiscal-year-2021/), and the CEP-WATER seed has sprouted and spread its branches, resulting in many achievements, including:
- 6 graduates with joint supervision
- 5 Master candidates from Indonesia enrolled in May 2021
- 1 PhD candidate from Malaysia enrolled in Oct 2021
- 5 Master students participated in the 2nd International Conference of Sustainable Environmental Technology (2nd ISET)
- 12 published papers, with 2 still under review
- 2 Industrial visits
- Membrane plant in Selangor, wetland park, and Membrane laboratory at Universiti Malaya, Kuala Lumpur
- Real water treatment sites in Langkawi
CEP-WATER also updated the meeting on the research progress of all six graduates. Numerous interesting studies on membrane technologies are presented in the following image.
In addition, CEP-WATER confirmed its plan to continue the education and research activities and collaboration in the future with the co-funding received from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) from March 2022 to March 2023. The expected outputs include:
- More than 15 published papers
- One-month research attachment for Master/PhD students in Japan
- Progress meeting and benchmarking visit at Kobe University
- Knowledge dissemination to stakeholders
Last but not least, we at the JICA Project for AUN/SEED-Net would like to express our sincere appreciation to all consortium members, including Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Kobe University, Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember, and Prince of Songkla University, Kasui Techno Sdn. Bhd. (formerly known as Kubota Kasui Malaysia Sdn. Bhd.) for your strong cooperation and devotion to the CEP programs.
We hope that the CEP-WATER seed will subsequently blossom into a long-lasting collaborative network among ASEAN and Japanese institutions to achieve sustainable development goals for all.